Magic Jumpstart - A new and exciting way to play MTG
By: andreliverod - 21 Feb 2020
Jumpstart is a new way to play MTG and it seems to borrow from the other card game they own: Transformers TCG. Buy 2 booster packs, shuffle them together and play. A nice hybrid between draft and sealed, easy to get started as a new player and a fun experience for veteran players as the contents will contain reprints of cards.
New 20 card booster packs
Jumpstart will release July 3rd and here is some key information:
- Each booster contains 20 cards centered on a theme. What theme each booster contains is randomized, but each themed 20 cards will be sealed inside the pack and labeled.
- Jumpstart cards on MTG Arena will be legal in Historic.
- One in three boosters includes an extra rare.
- It's loaded with reprints—almost 500!
- Jumpstart introduces 37 new cards to the game. These will not be Standard-, Pioneer-, or Modern-legal cards. They are legal in Legacy, Vintage, and Commander.
- It's closely tied to Core Set 2021—they share a lot of content and release near one another—but Jumpstart is a stand-alone product.
- All cards are legal in Eternal formats (Legacy, Vintage, and Commander)
- Every pack includes one basic land with art that matches the pack's theme. A few of them use thematically appropriate lands from M21, but most of them use brand-new themed land art created for Jumpstart.
All 20 cards fit a theme, and most themes have multiple variations—enough to make 121 possible 20-card lists inside any given pack.
"Themes range from the familiar ("Garruk") to the curious ("Doctor"), and two themes sometimes come together to form an unlikely mishmash ("Doctor Garruk"). If you've ever wanted to make a Cat Pirate deck well, meow is the time. There are even special "Mythic Rare" packs that don't have variations at all—just the one card list—because there is only one true Unicorn deck."
Wizards also plan to bring this mode to MTG Arena sometime this year, it makes sense to introduce a good chuck of Pioneer cards with Jumpstart to work towards the goal of bringing Pioneer to MTG Arena. There will also be a Jumpstart Prerelease 20-21 June, where you get two boosters to create a deck and then you play.
Founder and CEO of AetherHub.com, he likes to play with fire and also has a Twitter account he posts his stuff on. If you are interested in supporting him on Patreon you will also receive an AetherHub.com premium subscription!
"Nuts & Bolts Spike spends his energy looking within. He tries to understand his own internal flaws and works to improve them"